As I've mentioned on previous posts, I have quite a large interest in Diabetes (Type 1 in Particular) since my sister was diagnosed. Yesterday morning I was urged to research about high blood sugars and ketones after my sister was taken to hospital due to her line from her pump becoming blocked.
Although, the body is in continual production of ketones, formed in the liver, the concentration is always very low and are usually undetected by urine tests. However in someone with Diabetes, an insufficient supply of insulin leads to hyperglycemia which in turn leads to a ketones build up. They build up because the glucose causing the high blood sugar level cannot enter cells and remains in the blood, so the bodies fat and protein is alternatively burnt, to provide energy.
Structure of a Ketone: As shown below, is a oxygen double bond attached to a carbon chain.
(The only previous time I have come across a ketone is in the oxidation of secondary alcohols in the presence of acidified potassium dichromate, however in the body the formation is very different. )
In the picture the first ketone structure is known as acetone, which can be smelt in the breath of someone with ketosis. Ketosis is when a high concentration of ketones build up and they can be detected in the blood stream, because synthesis is higher the utilization.
Sources:

No comments:
Post a Comment