I attended the ‘medicine taster’ course at Nottingham University during my Christmas break, where I spent 5 days of lectures and practical sessions, and stayed in the halls of residents. I found it very independent staying on my own, however was good to make new friends with the other people on the course, and people with the same career interests as myself. It was very enjoyable and rewarding and showed me new medical areas which I hadn’t previously known.
I was particularly interested in HEMS (Helicopter Emergency Medical Services): pre-medical care for severe medical problems In need of urgent response. The prime job in severe cases is to keep the patient stable, until hospital care can be given. I was very interested by typical cases HEMS doctors deal with on a daily basis, along with unique cases which occurred in major disasters. HEMS is fully run on donations due to the cut in government spending on health care, so if not enough money is available the services are unable to run which is a great shame.
Generally the course gave me a good insight into what studying medicine at university would be like, and I really enjoyed my days there. It may persuade me to do another course such as Medsim which is more interactive, in the summer! The course will also help me to complete my gold duke of Edinburgh.
No comments:
Post a Comment