Tuesday, 20 August 2013

This Perfect World

On my recent holiday I was reading a novel named 'This perfect world' by Suzanne Bugler and despite the fact it was fictional, it was about young experiences effecting a persons later life. It encouraged me to put in some research about this because I think many health issues dealt with my a doctor can involve social aspects currently and in the past. 

The first thing I came across was on the recent news, with the headline 'school bullying 'affects adult life.' The reports seemed to be a reliable resource because 1400 people were tracked, between the ages of 9 and 26 (also reliable because a large age gap.) The trial also incorporated victims of bullying, people who bullied and others who were both bullies and victims. 

The thing I found most interesting was the fact in which, the people who had the most negative effect, were people who were bullied and bullied others. This was very interesting to me because I thought the victims would be the most negatively effected people. These people were six times more likely 'to have a serious illness, smoke regularly or develop a psychiatric disorder.' A further health issue developed more likely by these people are obesity  and further social issues include lack of qualifications and less likely to have friends. The reason I believe these people are the worse effected are due to the distinctive characteristics of a victim such as low self esteem, unpopular with peers or poor at understanding social cues. They also have the characteristics of a bully such as easily provoked. 
The studies showed people who are singly victims or bullies still have a negative outcome than those isolated completely. 
 
The victims of bullying show higher rates of mental health, serious illnesses and greater likelihood of poverty. Where they differ from people who bully aswell, is they generally are more capable of making friends or succeeding through education. Where as the result for bullies is opposite to victims, in the way that they have low rates of health issues, but problems socially. The social problems include inability to remain employed, violent relationships and are much more likely to be involved in crime or illegal occupation. 

Although this research isn't directly medically related, I find it hugely interesting and is closely related to the psychological side of medicine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment